Old Dominion had that epic comeback and while that was a testament to their quality, it is still concerning that they went down 21-0 to begin with. BJ Stith, in the post game interview with Watch Stadium, discussed how his play — and that of Ahmad Caver — is essential to the team. Bad first half: losing big. Good second half: epic comeback. So it goes.
This week we have some good matchups and some tough road trips for good teams — UNT at UTSA, WKU at Marshall, UAB at Tech.
- Marshall — Went 2-0 in a tough week.
- ODU — Epic comeback gives you momentum
- WKU — Blowing a 20-point lead is never good. Especially against a team that is going to challenge for the title.
- North Texas — Beat some teams people think are good. Big road games coming up.
- UAB — Good coaching, team gelling. Handled business
inagainst the Florida teams. Ed note: Fat-fingered this. Fixed.
- UTSA — Everyone getting healthy, beat up on UTEP last week. Time to host Rice and NT and see how good this team is.
- Rice — Yes, Rice. Big wins over USM/Tech. Travel to the UT-System schools this week.
- FAU — Have a scorer in Adger and have played a good team and a bad team. Host a good team and a bad team.
- FIU — Team is trying to get their philosophy set with new faces. Can jump up and beat teams if not careful
- La Tech — Couple of bad losses due to injury and schedule woes. Should be improved as the season continues but not a good start.
- UTEP — Young and injured but dangerous in El Paso.
- Charlotte – Jon Davis is fun and this team tries hard but its hard to live and die with one man.
- Southern Miss — Tough and talented and a bit unlucky in the trip in Texas
- MTSU — You know the deal.
Watchabilty ★ to ★★★★
Charlotte at FIU CUSA TV 6pm
Jon Davis is fun to watch and FIU should be creating havoc early.
ODU at FAU ESPN+ 6pm
ODU is one of the best teams in the league and FAU has a good scorer. This should be fun.
UAB at Louisiana Tech BeIN 630p
Good team on the road against a good team on television (for some).
Rice at UTSA ESPN+ 7pm
Rice has been surprising and this is not a far trip. UTSA is getting healthier.
MTSU at USM ESPN+ 7pm
Watch this if you are an alumnus or something is happening on the scoreboard.
North Texas at UTEP ESPN+ 8pm
UTEP is getting healthier. North Texas won their home stand.
Charlotte at FAU CUSA TV 3pm
Jon Davis vs Anthony Adger.
North Texas at UTSA ESPN+ 3pm
NT is first in the conference standings and takes on a fun and gun UTSA team with Jhivvan Jackson getting to full strength.
MTSU at Louisiana Tech ESPN+ 4pm
I cannot recommend watching MTSU but Tech is fun. They struggled away, but should roll at home in a get-right game.
UAB at USM ESPN+ 4pm
UAB is a tough ball club and USM has talent that is losing close games. This is an old rivalry and should be fun but could not be.
ODU at FIU
The advanced numbers love ODU but they play a slow, deliberate pace. FIU is up-tempo and presses a bunch. A nice contrast in styles and a test for ODU that is not playing as well as their record would suggest.
WKU at Marshall CBSSN on FB 6pm
Game of the day — Western and Marshall tango again. The most talented team in the league — and a squad that is struggling right now — vs Jon Elmore and CJ Burks. Rematch of the league title game last year.
RIce at UTEP CUSA TV 8pm
I cannot recommend CUSA TV. Rice is scrappy and UTEP is young but this is not going to be riveting internet streaming.
- I think WKU puts things together but there are some shades of last year’s LT team that just underperformed all season.
- Marshall really misses Penava.
- North Texas is playing well and getting contributions from nearly everyone. A lot rides on Zach Simmons, however. Keeping him healthy and productive is paramount.
- UTSA slew some giants at home last season. A little home stand against to beatable opponents could jump-start the season. UTSA looking for 3-0 tonight.